MSFF

MSFF

Saturday, June 12, 2021

2021 Films: A Life Developed

A Life Developed by Caitlin Walter
Shorewood WI (Milwaukee Premiere)

Running Time:12 minutes
Screening Time: Saturday, Sept 11 on Eventive!
Documentary

Get tickets here


My grandfather has always inspired me since I was a child. He lived a life that was both extraordinary and yet somehow beautifully simple. He was a photographer, a veteran, a chemist, a historian, a sailor, a traveler, an inventor, and a rare mix of left and right brain. My memories of him growing up always included him fixing or repairing something. If he saw something that could be improved upon he would research, measure, and search for the correct fix. While his repairs often could have been remedied with purchasing a new $10.00 item, he would never waste his money or mind on a quick fix. His meticulous nature was seen in everything he did. He was an avid photographer since high school and even built a dark room in his basement. It wasn’t until high school I discovered his photos from World War II. All of his original photos were beautifully maintained with notes and dates everywhere. What struck me most while looking through the photos of a man who looked more like an old Hollywood star than a 19-year-old serving in a world war, was his recollection of his experience. He was so grateful for those he met and the experiences he never would have otherwise had. He knew it was the right thing to do to serve but the gratitude was unlike anything I’d ever heard. The beautifully complex photographs belong in a museum. He would never call his work art but one look through the pages of his albums of photographs and it would be impossible to call them anything else. Before I ever had taken a film course, I knew I wanted to share his story. It wasn’t until a year ago that I finally asked my grandfather how he would feel if I brought a crew to come document his amazing photographs and stories. Luckily, for me and anyone who sees this film, he said yes.


Director's Bio:

Caitlin worked in film and TV production in Boston and New York for over 10 years until relocating to Milwaukee, WI and currently works as the Productions Manager for the Brewers. 'A Life Developed' is her debut short documentary.












No comments:

Post a Comment