MSFF

MSFF

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Steffen Boseckert talks about his film, Johnny & Die Leichtigkeit


MIFS: Where did the idea for the film come from?
The idea is actually a collection of thoughts and observations. It wanted the audience to get into a very certain mood while watching the movie, a mood that can switch from absolute nihilistic calmness to total aggression which is caused by the unhappiness of the protagonist and his need of an outlet for his inner tension because he isn't able to focus on his real aim. I've based the rest of the story and the characters on my protagonist until I was happy enough to go storyboarding.

MIFS: How much did the project change from concept to final edit?
We've prepared the shooting pretty well and due to that I've only changed the edit once. It had its lengths in the bar scene so I've shortened that and it had a pretty brutal scene which I dropped because it was not fitting to the character. Finally the movie shrank three minutes but it was worth it! Don't be afraid to kick out scenes if they don't work. The last thing I've changed was the music but because I couldn't clear the rights for one song.

MIFS:Were there any challenges during production?
We had icy temperatures at that time which made it really hard for the actors to do the part in front of the house when they had to make out. When we stopped after each take, they ran inside the house, drank tea and jumped out directly into the acting for the next try. Compliments! That was real commitment. Furthermore we had a budget of 2.500€ which means that nobody paid except travel charges but finally it somehow worked out. Last but not least I was involved in too many things at once. I've planned to concentrate completely on directing like a director should do, but I had to take care of parts of the organization and production as well which made it pretty intense. For the next film I want to direct and that's it.

MIFS: With the film completed, what has been the most rewarding thing about the whole experience?
I appreciate the goodwill of the crew and the actors so much because they've realized the whole movie without getting anything in exchange. The spirit of the shooting time was great and I would totally do it the same way except the fact that we would have needed a director of production. It was worth so much to be involved in every single part of the movie. Now I have a wide view on producing and directing. As a director, you should be open minded all the time but you should also focus on your idea when it's established once. It's not a good idea to let others open a discussion when you've already made a decision which can easily happen on set. You need to establish your position as the director, but never forget the group spirit! That's the way.

 
View Clip

Get Tickets
 

No comments:

Post a Comment