MSFF

MSFF

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Patrick Metcalf talks about his film, Now Plaing.

 

MIFS: Where did the idea for the film come from?
I suppose the inspiration for the film came from my own life. There are times when I daydream, thinking of myself and those around me in different films. I suppose that this comes from being a huge film buff/nerd/fanatic. Loving film is what makes me want to make them. Following that logic, my first film had to have been about film itself.

MIFS: How much did the project change from concept to final edit?
We had less than a month for all of our post-production work which, on the positive side, allowed the final edit to be extremely close to the original concept. We didn't have the time to make it in a different way!

MIFS:Where there any challenges during production?
There were, of course, many challenges during the production ranging from not having army helmets the day before we shot that scene to not being able to actually smoke in our studio. The biggest challenge, though, was being true to the spirit of all of the films that we celebrate in Now Playing. We watched and dissected so many great films so that we might best imitate them, and this put a tremendous strain on the cast and crew. We wanted to be sure that everything stayed true to what we love most: great films.

MIFS: With the film completed, what has been the most rewarding thing about the whole experience?
There is a scene in which the camera dollys over a shadow and then ends on Kyle (who played Joe) who lights a cigarette. It was a small part of the film, but it was exactly how I had imagined it from the first draft of the script. I got chills as I watched it on the monitor. It was the most surreal and truly exhilarating moment of my life.

Now Playing screens Nov 10th in the Lubar Auditorium, MAM at 5pm

To get tickets:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment